By Marge Perry & David Bonom
No one will believe your secret ingredient in this pungent, fruity barbecue sauce is tea! The sauce may be made several days in advance and kept refrigerated until you’re ready to use it.
- 1 cup water
- 10 Yogi Raspberry-Passion Perfect Energy Tea bags
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp raspberry red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 8 chicken thighs about 3-3 1/4 pounds
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- For the sauce: bring the water to a boil in a small saucepan over high heat. Remove from the heat, add the tea bags and let steep 10 minutes. Lightly squeeze tea bags and discard. Stir in the ketchup, sugar, vinegar, garlic powder and chili powder. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 15-16 minutes; remove from the heat.
- To make the chicken: combine the sugar, chili powder, cumin, ginger, salt and pepper in a bowl. Rub the mixture over the chicken thighs to coat. Place chicken, skin side up, in a single layer on a large rimmed baking sheet. Roast chicken 25 minutes. Brush the top of the chicken with some of the sauce and bake until a thermometer inserted into the thickest portion registers 165°F, about 5 minutes longer. Serve chicken with remaining sauce on the side
Other recipes you might like