By Sally James
This is a “healthily indulgent soup”, using macadamias rather than cream to bring a delicious rich creaminess. Just a touch of nutty texture, and the sweetness of macadamias and apples. If you can find the Australian nuts, all the better, as the nut from its native terroir has a more subtle soft crunch!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup raw macadamia nuts roughly chopped
- 1 small white onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger grated
- 2 cups squash or pumpkin diced
- 1 apple peeled and chopped
- 3 cups chicken stock
- roasted macadamias to garnish
- Heat oil in a heavy based large saucepan, add the macadamias, onion and ginger, and sauté over medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until golden.
- Add the squash and apple and cook 1-2 minutes further, then pour over the stock. Cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until squash is soft.
- Tip off some of the liquid, and reserve, then puree the remainder using an immersion blender or in a blender until smooth and creamy. Add more of the cooking liquid to bring to desired consistency.
- Reheat and serve in bowls scattered with extra macadamias
A rich and warming soup made with squash, apple and macadamias. Creamy with a delightful nutty undertone. Wonderful with a glass of New World bubbly or Cava from Spain!
Other recipes you might like