By Sally James
If you’re going to have gingerbread, it’s worth the extra effort and fun to make into smile bringing shapes, whether “people” or animals, or whatever your kids have up their sleeves!
- 4 ounces butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup light molasses or golden syrup
- 1/4 cup apple sauce or cooked pureed apple
- 1 egg
- 2 3/4 cups flour plain
- 1 tablespoon ginger ground
- 1 tablespoon mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat the oven to 350 ° F. Butter two baking trays.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until pale and creamy. Add the eggs and beat until the mixture is smooth. Add molasses and applesauce and beat until smooth.
- Sift the flour, spices and baking soda and, using a large spoon, stir in the butter mixture.
- Turn in a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Mold the dough into a disk. Cover with stretch film and keep refrigerator for 30 minutes to let the dough rest and let it shrink.
- Place the dough between two sheets of parchment paper and roll down to a thickness of 1 / 8-1 / 4 ". Use a cookie cutter, or use imagination, to cut the dough.
- Place on trays at a distance of about 1 ". Repeat with the rest of the dough.
- Bake 10 minutes or until dough is golden brown. Remove from the oven. Let cool on rack.
- Decorate as you wish
Other recipes you might like