By Fran Costigan
No one will ever guess that this remarkable cake with its creamy citrus-scented crumb is made without eggs, dairy or cholesterol.
- ¾ cup organic white all-purpose flour
- ½ cup organic whole wheat pastry flour
- ¾ cup organic sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 14 teaspoons aluminum–free baking powder
- 5 tablespoons whole toasted almonds finely ground
- 2-3 tablespoons whole toasted almonds for garnish
- 1 cup orange juice freshly squeezed
- ⅓ cup fruity olive oil such as arbequina, plus more for the pan
- 2 large oranges (organic is best) grated zest only
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ tablespoon pure almond extract
- 3 ounces orange-flavored chocolate bar melted
- Position a rack in the middle of the oven. Preheat to 350° F. Oil an 8 ½-inch springform pan. Line bottom with parchment paper cut to fit. Do not oil the parchment.
- Place a wire mesh strainer over a medium bowl. Add the white flour, whole wheat pastry flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and baking powder and sift into the bowl. Stir 5 tablespoons of the ground almonds into the dry mixture.
- In a separate bowl, combine the orange juice, oil, zest, vinegar and vanilla and almond extracts and whisk until well combined. Pour into the dry mixture and whisk until the batter is smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Rotate the pan to level the batter and tap it lightly on the counter. Bake 45 to 48 minutes or until the cake is golden brown, the sides have started to pull away from the pan and a tester inserted in the center of the cake is clean is holds just a few moist crumbs. The cake will be well risen, but will compact as it cools.
- Place the cake pan on a cooling rack. Run a thin knife between the cake and pan. Cool 5 minutes and release the side ring. Invert the cake onto a cooling rack. Remove the bottom of the pan and the parchment paper. The bottom of the cake may be pale and look quite moist. Sprinkle with 2 to 3 tablespoons of the reserved ground almonds. Allow the cake to cool completely. Drizzle the cake with the melted chocolate. Refrigerate briefly to set the chocolate, but serve at room temperature.
Other recipes you might like