By Ingrid Gangestad
Start your meal with this flavorful soup, or serve it for lunch with a grilled cheese sandwich or an apple-mixed green salad.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large sweet onions thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar packed
- 1 tablespoon vinegar balsamic
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin
- 1/2 teaspoon sage dried rubbed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- sour cream if desired
- fresh sage leaves if desired
- In 5-quart Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat.
- Cook onions in butter 15 to 20 minutes until very soft and beginning to brown; stir in brown sugar and vinegar.
- Continue cooking 5 to 10 minutes longer until onions are golden brown. Stir in remaining ingredients except sour cream and fresh sage. Heat to boiling; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- With immersion blender*, puree soup until smooth. Ladle into bowls; garnish with sour cream and fresh sage.
*Soup may be pureed in batches in a blender or food processor.
Although the onions take a long time to caramelize, they require little attention. Yield was 6 2/3 cup. Could add a touch of cream to this to further blend/mellow the flavors, but it is not necessary.
Other recipes you might like