By Theresa Greco
Classic grilled cheese meets the classic Italian antipasto for a new delizioso take on a beloved family-favorite recipe.
1 large rustic round loaf of bread cut into 4 thick slices
1 ball fresh mozzarella sliced 1/4 inch thick
olive oil extra virgin
- TOMATO SALAD
2 large tomatoes chopped
2 tablespoons fresh basil chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil extra virgin
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper
- For the tomato salad topping, mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Allow to marinate a few minutes while sandwich is cooking.
- For the sandwich, heat a nonstick griddle or pan over medium heat. Evenly coat pan with olive oil.
- Drizzle olive oil on one side of all 4 slices of bread. Layer mozzarella rounds in an even layer on two of the slices. Top with the other two slices of bread oil side down.
- Place on griddle and cook until sandwich is golden brown on bottom, about 2-4 minutes. Carefully flip sandwich and cook on other side until golden brown and cheese is melted through.
- Remove from heat and cut into bruschetta slices. Top each piece with tomato salad and serve with extra tomato on the side.
Other recipes you might like