This simple hors d’oeuvre has more than withstood the test of time: it gets gobbled up as quickly today as it did decades ago, thanks to the universal appeal of the sweet, salty and smoky flavor combination.
- 24 pitted dates preferably Medjool
- 3 3 1/2 ounces gorgonzola cheese cut into 24 pieces
- 12 slices bacon halved crosswise
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- With the tip of a sharp knife make a small lengthwise slit in each date. Fill each date with 1 piece of cheese. Wrap each date with one piece of bacon. Set wrapped dates on a shallow roasting pan, seam side down.
- Bake dates 5 minutes then turn over, seam side up, and bake until bacon has crisped, 5 minutes longer. Drain dates on paper towels before serving.
Other recipes you might like