You can easily fit the kid-friendly flavours of a pizza into a soup bowl. This easy-to-make soup is always a hit at our table.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28 ounce can whole, crushed or chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 8 ounces pepperoni, thinly sliced
- a sprinkle or two sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 slices whole grain bread
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Sauté the onions and garlic in a large saucepan with the olive oil until the onions are lightly browned and your kitchen smells amazing.
- Add the canned tomatoes. (If you use whole tomatoes crush them with the back of a wooden spoon.) Add the chicken broth, carrots and oregano. Simmer for 15 minutes or so until the carrots are tender.
- Add the pepperoni and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat the broiler in your oven.
- Ladle the hot soup into 4 onion soup bowls or 4 large ovenproof soup cups. Cut the bread into large circles and cover the top of each soup bowl. Sprinkle on 1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella onto the top of each bread slice and then place bowls under the broiler in your oven. Cook until the cheese is golden and bubbling, about 2 or 3 minutes.
Try adding any of your favourite pizza toppings to the soup. Mushrooms, peppers and sliced, browned Italian sausage all work well.
Other recipes you might like