By Marge Perry & David Bonom
All the great flavor of a pastrami sandwich, deconstructed into a salad –fuggetaboutit!
- 3 slices rye bread cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 5 tbsp olive oil divided
- 1 cucumber seeded and chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper chopped
- 2 ribs celery chopped
- 1 avocado pitted and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large head romaine lettuce chopped, about 6 cups
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 8 ounces thinly sliced pastrami cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp honey
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
- Place the rye bread into a bowl and toss with 1 tablespoon of the oil. Arrange in a single layer on a large baking sheet and bake until lightly browned and crisp, 7-8 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Combine the rye bread, cucumber, bell pepper, celery, avocado, romaine, onion and pastrami in a large bowl; toss well. Combine the vinegar, mustard, honey, salt and pepper in a separate bowl. Slowly whisk in the remaining 4 tablespoons oil. Pour the mixture over the salad and toss well to coat. Serve immediately
Other recipes you might like